Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mushroom and Onion Orzo

This is a great side dish for seafood, chicken, or pork (or even...tofu!).

I just made it recipe and paired it with a simple salmon recipe that I will also post.

Ingredients
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 8oz of sliced mushroom (I used mini bellas, I love these!)
1 lb orzo (I used De Cecco brand)
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio. You can try chardonnay as well)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Heat up 1 tbsp of the olive oil and saute your mushrooms and onions. When it gets a bit soft, after 5 minutes, add the orzo and continue sauteing for about 2-3 minutes until the orzo is a bit golden brown.



Add your chicken broth and white wine and boil. Once it boils, simmer it on low for about 7-10 minutes until it is al dente (slightly firm and chewy). Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. The chicken broth has sodium in it so you may not need to add excess salt.

You can also mix in some parmesan cheese and parsley to make this more of a risotto. I didn't have these ingredients so I just added what I had.

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment